to contact Asymetrix - which I did.  They replied as follows:

From:             Web Tech Support Questions <tsupweb@asymetrix.com>

>  Generally, problems like this are caused by either invalid or obsolete
> drivers, and if you are running under Windows 95, you may need to
download

> new ones from IBM's web site, http://www.ibm.com, as the drivers that
> shipped with the ThinkPads are 16-bit drivers for Windows 3.1. If you are
> running Windows 3.1, try reinstalling the video capture drivers and
verify

> that the capture facility works properly with IBM's video test programs
(if there are any). Then, try DVP again.

DVP is calling the drivers for your capture card.  If they do not respond,
dvp reports an error of "CAPTURE DEVICE NOT DETECTED ".  This means that
DVP
cannot find the drivers for your capture card and/or the board is not
installed correctly.  There are no settings that can correct this from DVP
as it is the result of the hardware not functioning properly.

Have you ran the diagnostic utility for your capture board?

Asymetrix Tech Support

I've tried their advice - but to no avail - can anyone help?

Vision Communications     Address: Broher, Charlestown, Co. Sligo, Ireland
   Phone & Fax: 353 94 54859     Mobile: 088 632047