Re: Toshiba HD upgrade

On Mon, 24 Jul 1995, Randal Whittle wrote:

> > Trust me, swapping drives in the case is _not_ very hard - certainly not
> > worth $100. _I_ will do it for anyone on the list for $10 and you pay
> > shipping, if you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself.
>
> 	What I'm curious about Don, is if one can get away without using
> *any* hard drive enclosure at all?

Well, from a very strict standpoint, all you "need" is the cable that
makes the 44 pin 2.5" IDE drive into the AMP connector that sockets onto
the 'pads mainboard. But then your drive would rattle around.

It seems likely you could make something as an enclosure if you wanted
to, the problem is that AMP connector. Nobody has been able to find the
part number for it in order to get it from AMP. IBM, understandable, has
been less than eager to pony it up.

We need to find a friend in the TP engineering department who can get us
a list of generic part numbers. <grin>

 Donald Alan Whiteside     MDCC Wage Slave     School of Computer Science
         Official Usenet Dork for the week of Jan 9-13, 1995
      GCS d-- -p+(---) l u+(-) e+ m+ s !n h f g+ w+ t+(++) r- y++
          "The universe is not in the habit of giving up
       explanations to cursory examinations" - Garth Thornton