Re: WarpConnect + PortReplicator I + PCMCIA ethernet; hot docking? (Summary)

On Sun, 30 Jul 1995, Lew Jansen wrote:

>   I had asked the list about hot-docking with a 755CX and a Port Replicator I,
>
>   Unfortunately, it seems to be so.  I had reports that Thinkpads really don't
> like to be undocked from a without rebooting -- the network drivers got rather
> upset and tended to lock up or crash the machine.  Guess I'll just have to get
> used to the idea of rebooting every time.

You could try hitting the eject button on the ether card before
undocking. If the drivers are robust enough to allow the pcmcia card to
be removed, then the only problem might be that undocking doesn't send
the "card has been ejected" signal to the drivers. Perhaps if you do that
and _then_ undock, the drivers will not lock up.

On another note - what did you pay for the PR I? I haven't seen prices
for it or the II lately, was thinkign of buying one....

 Donald Alan Whiteside     MDCC Wage Slave     School of Computer Science
         Official Usenet Dork for the week of Jan 9-13, 1995
      GCS d-- -p+(---) l u+(-) e+ m+ s !n h f g+ w+ t+(++) r- y++
          "The universe is not in the habit of giving up
       explanations to cursory examinations" - Garth Thornton