Re: WarpConnect + PortReplicator I + PCMCIA ethernet; hot docking? (Summary)

On Sun, 30 Jul 1995, Don Whiteside wrote:
> You could try hitting the eject button on the ether card before
> undocking. If the drivers are robust enough to allow the pcmcia card to
> be removed, then the only problem might be that undocking doesn't send
> the "card has been ejected" signal to the drivers. Perhaps if you do that
> and _then_ undock, the drivers will not lock up.

  Thanks for the suggestion -- I'll give that a shot when I get the hardware
in a week or so and report back to the list...  I wonder if the problem might
also have to do with two of the four total PCMCIA slots disappearing when you
undock, and the system BIOS getting upset about it.  (of course, I don't know
a whole lot about PCMCIA, so this may be way off track)

> On another note - what did you pay for the PR I? I haven't seen prices
> for it or the II lately, was thinkign of buying one....

  I ordered my PR I from Computer Discount Warehouse, it was $304.44.  CDW's
part number is "CDW35099", IBM's part number is 66G3510.  They had a handful
of them in stock at the end of last week.  The PR II is somewhere around $100;
but I wanted the PCMCIA slots.

--
 Lew Jansen                        Systems Manager, High Energy Physics Theory
 lrj@hepth.cornell.edu     233 Newman Lab, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853