Re: DOS error 21 when executing Win32s programs

".....I've got a 755C.  I want to be able to use a few 32-bit windows
applications, but everytime I try and execute one, I get a "DOS error 21"
message in a window.  Does anyone know what causes this?...."

~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know how this relates specifically to thinkpads, but I've seen this
error on several of our machines, including the thinkpads, when first
installing 32-bit apps.  What I've done is turn on 32-Bit File Access in
Control Panel, 386Enh, and set the smartdrv.exe windows parameter to 512 (if
there's no parameter set, I think it defaults to 128) in the autoexec.bat:

C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE 1024 512

The first number is the DOS buffer size & the second is the Windows buffer.
Without this parameter, or with it set to a lower number, I've seen "Unexpected
Dos Error", "DOS Error 21", and "EMM386 has detected....... reboot your
machine"  errors.
Hope this helps.

Michael J. Verne
michael_verne@vmedia.com
Systems Analyst, Ventana Communications Group, Inc.