Re: 701 and win95

> From:          Randy Whittle <whittle@usc.edu>
> >The extra memory seems to reduce how often the swapfile grows, but
> >not how much.  Worse yet, it would often run out of swapspace and
> >crash.  Eventually I got fed up and fixed the swapfile size at 8MB.
> >It still crashes, but not as often.
>
>         You set a limit to how big the swapfile gets though.  Windows still
> controls the size, but limited by what you set it at.  Have you tried that
> and if so, does that help you any?

A recommendations that I've followed was setting my swap file as a
"permanent" and fixed size of 2.5 x RAM; I have 24MB of RAM so my
swapfile is fixed at 60MB.  Once you defrag the partition with the
fixed-size swapfile, the swapfile isn't supposed to defrag.

When I did this I noticed my overall disk performance increase over
Windows95's automatic settings.
--
  Gene <blue@enteract.com>
       http://www.enteract.com/~blue

"While the past affords us the opportunity to learn
many useful lessons that can be applied in the
present, we can also gain insight for today by
giving some thoughtful consideration as to what
lies ahead for us in the future."