Re: 701 and win95

On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Randy Whittle wrote:
> At 12:19 PM 8/11/96 -0400, John H. Kim wrote:
> >
> >Win95's default swapfile management is inane (16MB free on swap
> >partition).  I'd be doing nothing in particular when Win95 suddenly
> >decided it should reduce the swapfile size.  The resulting disk
> >activity pretty much ground everything to a halt for 5-30 sec.
>
>         How do you tell its actually messing with the swapfile?  Just
> whenever you have mysterious disk activity?

I kept a file explorer window (or whatever it's called) open and
watched the free disk space on the swapfile partition.  It'd get
almost full, thrash for 5-30 sec, then there'd be lots of space free.

> >crash.  Eventually I got fed up and fixed the swapfile size at 8MB.
> >It still crashes, but not as often.
>
>         You set a limit to how big the swapfile gets though.  Windows still
> controls the size, but limited by what you set it at.  Have you tried that
> and if so, does that help you any?

That's what I did.  I'd originally followed Microsoft's advice and
let Win95 manage my swapfile size.  Silly me.
--
John H. Kim       "I stop for red traffic lights" -- bumper sticker
jokim@mit.edu     commissioned by the City of Boston as part of a