Re: Thinkpad 701C

The ThinkPad 701C/701CS is a sub-notebook; I emphasize the word "sub".
As such, I believe it is well designed and fulfills that role well.
It is light (4.5lb) and small (1.6x9.7x7.8in) and of course has the
expanding keyboard.  Why IBM chose to phase it out baffles me.  To let
some bias show, I prefer a desktop computer for long sessions, not a
notebook or sub-notebook.  Even the latest and greatest of the
notebooks fall far short of the ease and comfort of desktop
environments, which are also much cheaper to set up.

Regarding some of your specific questions:

     o I have not used the IR port

     o Battery life is a little over 2 hours.  This is the stock NiCd.
       NiMH is longer.  I am not sure if an Li-ion battery is
       available for the 701.

     o I have had no problems with the built in modem.  The 701 has
       been used in different parts of the world: North America,
       Europe, and Africa.

     o I did have to replace the TFT screen; there was a one third
       column of red pixels stuck on.  The screen is quite easy on the
       eye.

     o The 486DX 25/75 MHz is quite adequate.  (On the other hand I
       have not rushed out and bought the latest 166 MHz box!)

Regards,
David Jones