PCMCIA Modems--NOT PPI!

        As long as we're on the subject, let me put out a warning...

        DO NOT--under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES--buy a Practicial Peripherals
PCMCIA modem!

        I made that mistake--the EZ-jack-thingy wouldn't stay in (kept
popping out) and the modem was improperly grounded.

        PPI sent me a replacement under warranty, and I sent the previous
modem back to them.  The problem:  The replacement modem had the grounding
thing fixed, but *it's* EZ-Jack wouldn't stay in either!

        THEN--PPI had the GALL to CHARGE me $500 for the modem they shipped
me, even after receiving the old one back!  It eventually got worked out,
but it *really* pissed me off.

        Finally, they send me yet *another* modem to replace the second
replacement and I sent the second replacement back.  This time, the modem
appeared to work properly, but I didn't take any chances--I sold it
immediately and replaced it with a new Megahertz modem (with the *original*
X-Jack--and I'm very happy with the functionality/quality of the Megahertz,
thank-you).

        Then--AGAIN--PPI was so screwed up that they CHARGED ME for the 3rd
replacement modem even though I had sent them back their second
replacement!  $500--sheesh!  List price!  Absurd!  I initiated a credit
dispute with my Visa issuer, and PPI eventually got their act together and
fixed issued a credit for the charge they levied on me.

        In total, this all began (waiting for a replacement modem and
sending in the old one) last April and is only now--in February--finally
getting all cleared up.

        Practical Peripherals is *clearly* a very screwed-up company.  I
have made a conscious decision never to buy another of their products
again.  No wonder they're in bankruptcy restructuring.

-----
Randy Whittle           whittle@usc.edu         http://www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle
USC Graduate School of Business
 "Did you really think you could call up the Devil and ask him to behave?"

     -Fox Mulder on T.V.'s "X-Files" speaking to an occult practitioner