Re: PCMCIA Ethernet card & OS/2

At 08:09 AM 1/8/96 EST, Robert Dewar wrote:

>We are trying to set up a PCMCIA 3Com Etherlink III (3C589?) card in a
>Thinkpad 755C for use on a TCP/IP network.  When we tried using the driver
>that came with the machine, the card was not recognized.
>
>After talking with 3Com tech support, we switched to using this driver
>(ELPC3.OS2).  However, the system crashes during boot with this driver.

I have had this working a number of times under OS/2. If you go into LAPS,
what do you see as LAN adapters? You need to configure it there to make it work.

>It appears that our problems might be with what we understand is
>called "Card and Socket Services", since this is required for their
>driver.  When we go into the "Plug and Play PCMCIA" program and look
>at what it thinks are in the slots, we see a modem in slot 0, and a
>LAN card in slot 1, but the later is "not ready".  When we get
>detailed information, we don't see an assigned I/O address or IRQ.

This sounds like you haven't configured the LAN stuff, yet.

>We noticed that the file \OS2\AUTODRV2.INI seems related to this.
>Is the an input or output file?  Do we have to modify this file too?

Don't modify that file!!!

>Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be going wrong?

If, after you check the MPTS stuff, you're still having problems or
questions, let me know.

Cheers,
ssh (we did the Warp Connect launch event with ThinkPads and 3Com cards.....)
--
Steve Hultquist                                Worldwide Solutions, Inc.
Distributed Systems and Internet Engineering           Boulder, Colorado