PCMCIA Ethernet card & OS/2

   Date: Mon, 8 Jan 96 08:09:48 EST
   From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)

   We are trying to set up a PCMCIA 3Com Etherlink III (3C589?) card in a
   Thinkpad 755C for use on a TCP/IP network.  When we tried using the driver
   that came with the machine, the card was not recognized.

   After talking with 3Com tech support, we switched to using this driver
   (ELPC3.OS2).  However, the system crashes during boot with this driver.

   [...]

I've used this card with both OS/2 2.1 + TCP/IP 2.0 and with Warp
Connect.  What system are you using?  With Connect, it's necessary to
get the very latest driver, which identifies itself as version 1.6 --
the driver can be obtained from the 3com ftp site.  OS/2 2.1 was less
picky about this, and the older drivers should work OK.

   We noticed that the file \OS2\AUTODRV2.INI seems related to this.
   Is the an input or output file?  Do we have to modify this file too?

This is a configuration file, that should not be modified.  It does
not affect network cards.