Re: Linux on a 755CX

> Has anyone gotten Linux to run on the 755CX yet? I've tried all the
> tips from the Linux/Thinkpad Web site at peipa.essex.ac.uk (specifying
> the hard drive geometry, floppy=thinkpad, etc.) There was also nothing
> in the archives of this mailing list.

I thought there were messages from people who did get it working.

> The boot disk comes up just fine. I'm prompted to insert the root
> disk - once I do I get the following error:
>
>   Kernel panic: VFS 1.2.13 Unable to mount root fs on 02:00
>
> ...and then we're locked up.

This is like the problem with older thinkpads where you had to use the
"floppy=thinkpad" option.  Not all thinkpads need this option (my 755CD
doesn't) and if you supply it when not needed, same problem as not
giving it when it is needed.

In general I have found the newer Thinkpad models and the newer Linux
kernels (1.2.x) to be much more compatable then in the past.  With my
755CD (810Mb HD) I don't need to specify any options.  Harddrive size
is found fine by Linux and floppy works as normal!

> My machine is a TP 755CX - SVGA model with 24 MB RAM, 810 MB hard
> drive.

This is pretty much the same as my 755CD (24Mb RAM, 810Mb HD, ...) so
it should work fine!

> If anybody can give me a hand here, I'd really appreciate it. :-)

Hope this helps!

> --
> Doug Washington                    EMAIL: washide@cqo6.whirlpool.com
> Whirlpool Corporation              EMAIL: washide@cluster.mcs.com
> St. Joseph, Michigan  USA          VOICE: (616) 923-5803

| "Psst. Hey Guido. It's all so clear to me now. I'm the keeper of the   |
| cheese. And you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it. That's |
| why he's gonna kill us. So we gotta beat it. Yeah. Before he lets      |
| loose the marmosets on us! Don't worry, little missy! I'll save you!"  |
+------------------ Brad Pepers -- pepersb@cuug.ab.ca -------------------+