701 Internal Modem?

First off, is this even the right place to be asking questions about the
701, or should I slink off to another list?

Secondly, hi. I just joined the ranks of ThinkPad owners with a 701C.
I bought it partially because I'm going to be taking a trip overseas soon, and
I want to (a) do work while I'm gone; and (b) try to stay in contact while
abroad (I will be in Singapore, Thailand, and India, which will make life
interesting for connectivity, but doable).

Anyways, the manual for the 701 modem says "this can only be used in the
US and Canada" - it's a standard RJ11 jack.  This sent a shiver through me -
after all, one of the selling points of the machine (for me) was the modem.

So,
	(a) does anyone know why the manual says this? Is it just to CYA?
	(b) has anyone used one of these modems abroad? Or can give a
	justifiable reason why I should plug into the overseas network without
	such experience?
	(c) If directly plugging into the phone line isn't a good idea, can
	I buy any adapters (other than a new modem :)?

Thanks!

Steve
--
Steve Rodrigues            | Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and
Expatriate Texan           | sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty