Re: WARP-Caution 755wd101.exe on 750 mono

On Sat, 16 Sep 1995, Victor Kress wrote:

> I just installed the video drivers from the 755wd101.exe file on my tp750
> mono.  The results were not good.  The external monitor worked fine, with
> all resolutions available, but switching to the lcd resulted in a big black
> band across the screen, which moved with the cursor on the first boot, and
> remained stationary on the second.  After two boots I restored the system
> to the VFD 1.33 drivers.

I had the same problem on my TP750 mono with the default video
drivers for Warp, and a later release said to be for the WDC24/31.
I don't think it's specific to the 755wd101.exe drivers.

I tracked it down to whether or not high-performance mode was on.
I don't recall the exact relationship anymore, but it *is* possible
to get external support (all resolutions) and LCD support (640x480x
8bit color) without corruption on a mono.  It may also have been
related to whether high-performance mode was on at the time you
installed the drivers.  There is some combination of the install
time and the current high-performance mode setting which lets you
switch between the LCD and any resolution on an external monitor
without corrupting the LCD display.  You do lose something -
simultaneous display capability I think.

One of these days I'll try it all again and write down exactly
what works and what doesn't (I'm using Linux now).
John H. Kim        "A common mistake that people make when trying to design
jokim@mit.edu       something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
jokim@tuna.mit.edu  ingenuity of complete fools." -- Douglas Adams