Re: TP-755CX keyboard release problem

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Joseph Manning wrote:

>           __                __
>          |  |              |  |
>           \ |              | /          ........ Exhibit A
>            \|              |/

Robert Dewar mentioned the tabs were the same on a TP750C.  Well, I've
got a TP750 mono and my tabs look like this:

             /|              |\
            / |              | \
            --|              |--
              |              |
          ____|              |____
         |                       |
         | <----- slider ------> |

It looks like they were designed so you could close the keyboard/LCD
without having to reach for the slider.  In fact the tabs only latch
onto the LCD, they don't hold down the keyboard at all - there's a
plastic rail on the keyboard which catches underneath the tabs just
above the slider (see picture).  Maybe it's a color/mono thing?

>    Right now, the only way I can get the keyboard to open is to pull the
>    tabs to one side with my thumbnail and then slide them forward.

I never had a problem opening the keyboard.  If I pull the slider back
until they hit a stop, I can open the LCD cover.  If I use a little
more force and pull past the stop, the keyboard pops open.  I do recall
having some problems opening the keyboard before I got it replaced to
fix the letters coming off.
John H. Kim        "A common mistake that people make when trying to design
jokim@mit.edu       something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
jokim@tuna.mit.edu  ingenuity of complete fools." -- Douglas Adams