Re: Drivers for 3Com Etherlink III - 3C589B?

".....I have a 3Com PCMCIA ethernet card for my TP755CE.  I would like to be
able to hook this to our local netwrok of mostly SGI and Sun workstations
so that I can do ftp/telnet/SLIP/etc.  I understand that the public
domain software Trumpet would let me do this.  I have the trumpet
software, but I don't know where to find the drivers for this and the PC
card to work together.
Can someone give me directions on where I can find the driver and
configure the PC card to use trumpet?  We have no resident experts on PC
networking at our site.  I do plan on running Linux on the TP once I
figure out how to do it, and I am in the process of investigating what I
need to do.
Also, if I upgrade MS Windows 3.11 to WWG 3.11, would I be able to mount
the disks on our unix workstations and fileserver?  Or would I need Sun
PC-NFS or similar software?....."

~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure what all of your needs are, but the tcp/ip stack that comes with
the WFWG license (WinTCP) serves all of our thinkpads beautifully for inet
access over the LAN.  We use the Xircom, not 3Com, cards, but we don't need no
steenking Trumpet to get T1 speed ftp/telnet/www etc.  not sure what you mean
by SLIP over the LAN, unless you mean redirecting a com port to a network modem
& SLIPing in from there, in which case you will need something more than
WinTCP.  But if your inet server is on your LAN, all you need is the ip
addresses of the server & the gateway to get there with WinTCP (you'll also
avoid spending windoze memory on a third party product).

Michael J. Verne
michael_verne@vmedia.com
Systems Analyst, Ventana Communications Group, Inc.