Re: SCSI PCMCIA card

Hi,

I have an adaptec AHA-460 card that works OK under both DOS/WIN and warp.
However, it has some problems with the new 810 MB HD i installed DOS/WIN
on recently, but I think I'll be able to resolve that with a bios upgrade.

There are two cons that might interesting even with other cards:

A) The connector is huge and bulky, and somewhat in the way when i have an
external keyboard/mouse. Do try to get a small connector.

B) Reportedly, the AHA-460 does not, and probably never will, work with linux.
This card is really made by trantor for adaptec, so if you are interested, go
for the never AHA-1460 that works with linux.

As for OS/2 drivers, they are available for both cards above, but you have to
ftp them of adaptecs ftp-site. I know there are at least one other card that
works with linux. Unfortunately, no PCMCIA-SCSI card will give you the
possibility to install warp from the CD. This is IBMs fault - they just
load the drivers too late in the booting process. Let's hope they resolve it
in the future.

Take a look at the www-page at http://peipa.essex.ac.uk, there is a
link to linux on the thinkpads, where you can get a list of compatible
cards. (If you are interested in linux, but otoh, you never know, and it
won't hurt to get a compatible card!)

Regards and good luck,

Erik