Re: Hayes 28.8 PCMCIA modem

>> drivers (COM.SYS and VCOM.SYS) had to be replaced with Gwinn's SIO
>> drivers in order to achieve a DTE > 57,600.  Also, HyperAccess Lite
>> refused to initialize this modem at all, and was therefore sent down
>> the road in favor of VOC.

> I'm thinking of getting one of these modems.  What is VOC and what are
> these drivers to which you refer, and where do you get them.  (Also an
> OS/2 user).

What I meant to say was ZOC, not VOC.  ZOC is an OS/2 32-bit modem
communications software package, and a good one at that.

SIO is a set of high performance replacement serial port drivers for OS/2.

Both of these packages are shareware and can be found at the following
location:

ftp-os2.nmsu.edu

/os2/comm/        570360 Apr 16 18:43 zoc2052.zip

/os2/drivers/     200981 Apr 10 04:48 sio145a.zip

I had been resisting switching to SIO for a long time, as I feel that
the registration fee ($25) is too high for a couple of device drivers.
However, the documentation which is supplied with the latest version
of IBM's SLIP/PPP update specifically mentions SIO as a fix for
constipated data transfer rates when using a 28.8 modem.  I was able to
verify the inability to set the DTE rate to anything higher than 57,600
when using the standard Warp COM.SYS driver, but after switching to
SIO.SYS I can now lock in at 115,200.  Note that this *doesn't* mean
that the modem-to-modem transfer rate will be anywhere close to 115,200.
In fact, I previously mentioned that I'm only seeing a modest 60%
increase over 14.4 modem data transfer rates.

Is SIO worth 25 clams?  Hard to say...but the shareware version will
allow you to try it for 30 days for free so you can make your own
evaluation.

--
Karl E. Yeanoplos
Denver, CO