Re: Wireless ThinkPad

> I'm interested in adding "wireless LAN" or remote capabilities to
> my 755CX and was wondering if anyone could recommend specific products.
> I assume this would be a radio link of some kind.
>
> I want to be able to "roam" around my house (inside and out) with my
> ThinkPad and be able to communicate with my server and its attached
> peripherals.  I read about some of these products in an article in
> Computer Shopper about one year ago (June'94), but haven't seen
> much advertisement for these products (Proxim RangeLAN2, Solectek
> AirLAN, etc.).  Any suggestions?  Any personal experiences?  Your
> feedback would be much appreciated.

	I could only say that its very expensive--and very slow, by
wired Ethernet LAN standards.  You're looking at somewhere in the
ballpark of $1,200 or more and your throughput, instead of the wired
Ethernet capacity of 10 Megabits/second (a capacity that is rarely
reached) is cut by as much as a factor of 10 or so.

	There are your tradeoffs.  Its up to you to decide whether its
still worthwhile to you.

Randy Whittle    whittle@usc.edu               |    Making South-Central  |
USC Graduate School of Business (Fight on 'SC!)|  L.A. a better place by  |
-Counselor, USC Business Expansion Network     | helping small businesses |
                                               |      help themselves.    |