Wireless ThinkPad

I'm interested in adding "wireless LAN" or remote capabilities to
my 755CX and was wondering if anyone could recommend specific products.
I assume this would be a radio link of some kind.

I want to be able to "roam" around my house (inside and out) with my
ThinkPad and be able to communicate with my server and its attached
peripherals.  I read about some of these products in an article in
Computer Shopper about one year ago (June'94), but haven't seen
much advertisement for these products (Proxim RangeLAN2, Solectek
AirLAN, etc.).  Any suggestions?  Any personal experiences?  Your
feedback would be much appreciated.

On a related topic, I'd like to tell you about an infrared product I
recently purchased.  I bought IBM's high-speed infrared ISA card
with transceiver for my desktop system to communicate with my 755CX
ThinkPad.  Unlike the slower HP/Sharp IR modes, the IBM high-speed
infrared supports communications between my desktop and ThinkPad at
up to 1.2Mbps and it really works well.  The two machines communicate
at high-speed at distances up to about 10 feet.  I use this IR link
to download/upload files between the two systems.  Actual file
transfer rates are about 2.5Mb per minute (about 40K/s).  The link
doesn't seem too sensitive to movement because I can transfer data
while hand holding the ThinkPad (I do shake a bit, but it doesn't
seem to matter).  It's quick and it's wireless.

I purchased the IR board and software through Puma Technology in
Santa Clara, CA, the people who wrote TranXit.  TranXit is the
Laplink-like IR control software IBM is now shipping with every
ThinkPad.  The current version works okay (it looks like Window's
File Manager), but leaves LOTS to be desired.  They are suppose to
release TranXit Pro on August 1st which is suppose to support many
new features including the ability to send a file directly to your
printer via the IR link.  We'll see.  The IBM high-speed IR card
with TranXit Pro software (sent when available) costs $299.

                    _\//__
     --Sandy       / _  _ \
         | InterNet : sandy@sandy.com |
                .oooO    (   )