Re: question on lithium ion batteries

> I asked this before, and someone answered that Li-ion batteries were
> ideal, but did not actually answer the question.
>
> My question is: does it do any harm to leave a Li-ion battery in place,
> charging in the TP. I notice that the TP keeps it at 100% charge all
> the time (instead of doing the down to 90% game it playes with NiCad's)

I attended a meeting with Sony on their Li-ion technology. Their
statement to Northrop was that overcharging of the battery would cause a
fail safe mechanism to trip thus preventing possible explosion. Float
charging (ie. maintaining 100% or maybe a little less for safety) did not
harm the battery. They would only sell the battery in a package with
an integrated charging circuit. Said charger would cut off charging when
the battery was fully charged.

While I don't know for sure that IBM is using Sony's technology, there
should be no problems as I think all Li-ion batteries are similar.
--
Scott A. Stratmoen | strat@ast.dsd.northrop.com