Re: Serial port & Modems (External)

> >	Is there anyone on this list who uses the external serial port
> >and connects a v.32bis modem to it?  I realize lots of you have PCMCIA
> >modems, but I'm curious as to any who just have a plain 'ol external.
> >
> >	I recently got a new USR Courier "V.Everything" (28.8K) modem
> >for my desktop (where most all of my modeming is done) and since I have
> >a "spare" modem in the form of a Supra V.32bis FaxModem, I decided to try
> >running it from my ThinkPad.
> >
> >	I runs fine when I lock it down at about 9600 baud, but at 14.4K
> >Baud, I have some problems.  Namely, it seems to scramble an occasional
> >character when I'm in this EMACS editor, but more seriously, prevents
> >any meaningful file transfer at 14.4K baud (though 9600 works okay).  It
> >produces a number of CRC errors.

> If someone has not already suggested it, remove FUELDOS.EXE
> it fiddles with the serial port for some unknown reason.
> I had the same problem.. removedit and I wa fine!
>
> -James

	It was suggested by one person (thanks again, by the way), but it
did not work.  I think, under Windows at least, I'm doomed to 9600 baud
unless a 16550 UART magically appears--I'm *really* ticked that IBM would
scrimp on an important item like that (costs a whopping $5 more at the most)
on such an otherwise wonderful machine.  I guess they figured everyone would
use PCMCIA modems and not externals.

	Which begs the question, oh you PCMCIA gurus:  Do you ever have
any trouble using your 14.4K PCMCIA modems under windows?  Is the "serial"
port in the PCMCIA slot fast enough to keep up with things?  I would like
to know the answer to these things before I sink $ into one someday--and
do you think PCMCIA would still work fine with a 28.8K modem?

	Now maybe one can do 14.4K on an external serial under DOS, but I
prefer Windows (or as Sean suggested--use OS/2!  Damn you Sean--you got me
there!).

-----
Randy Whittle    whittle@chaph.usc.edu
University of Southern California School of Business (Fight on, 'SC Trojans!)
 - Motorcycle nut, HP 48GX & 100LX user, & lover of fine chocolate...
 "It's not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept!" -Calvin
 "Consensus is the negation of leadership." - Margaret Thatcher