Some PCMCIA cards hate IBM drivers

Hi folks,

I've been running a GVC FM144 PCMCIA FaxModem for a few months now, and
until now have been very happy with it.  It was $75 cheaper than the
Megahertz, includes MNP10 capability, and has shown great tolerance for
noisy phone lines.

The problem is I have been using GVC's standalone DOS driver in lieu of
IBM's standard socket/card services driver set.  Now I'm considering adding
an Ethernet card, and I want to start using the standard drivers so I don't
suffer TSR proliferation (not to mention, I like the idea of not having to
reset the machine after suspend to recover card function!).

Loaded the latest version of EZPlay and accompanying socket/card services
(downloaded from IBM BBS yesterday) for DOS and Windows, and observed the
following:  EZPlay detects the presence/absence of my modem card, but
reports its status as "Not Ready", the card type as "Memory", and nothing
for card information.

I've contacted GVC tech support and they say the IBM drivers are no good,
while IBM support says the GVC card doesn't follow the PCMCIA standard.
It's a classic case of vendor support Catch-22.

So, has anyone out there encountered similar problems getting IBM's
socket/card services to recognize a card?  All I hear about in the group is
how perfect the plug-and-play is, surely I'm not the only one who's had
headaches ... ?

Tim Vetter           73 Warren Road, Kitchener, Ontario N2M4T6 CANADA
vetter@hookup.net         voice 519-579-9904     fax 519-571-9520