IBM EasyServe Withholding of Presumed Stolen Thinkpads?

I was seriously thinking about buying a used IBM TP760EL notebook
(System Serial No=9547WL4552C36N -- System Board No=1MSPT68RL1L)
today from the Computer Exchange store in the center of London's
high technology retail marketing area on Tottenham Court road.
The listed price seemed quite reasonable -- maybe too reasonable
(1,450GBP -- about $2,200 US).  The system was in good condition
-- P133 CPU, 800x600 TFT screen, 16MB RAM, 1GB HD, no flaws, etc.

However, after reading a few stories about EasyServe withholding
people's second hand notebooks when they were returned for service,
I carefully asked the store staff about whether there would be any
documentation which could be traced to the original purchaser.  The
short answer was a sort of clueless stammering -- well, no!!!  They
had no documentation regarding the original purchaser or the date
(which would be needed for warranty service) of original purchase.

Indeed, the main Computer Exchange staffer asked whether it might
be legal for IBM to withhold a computer returned for repair absent
any documentation for transfer of ownership other than a Computer
Exchange register receipt/ticket.  My response was that -- whether
legal or not -- no one can afford the cost of taking IBM to court.

So, in the absence of any documentation which can be traced to the
original purchaser, what documentation would satisfy EasyServe that
a second hand IBM thinkpad was legitimately purchased -- not stolen?
What documentation would satisfy EasyServe that the unit was still
within warranty and should be repaired without charge?

Does IBM have an email address/phone/fax number where system serial
numbers can at least be checked against their current stolen list to
confirm an intended second hand purchase is copletely legitimate?

Thanks,

Alexander J. Annala, Ph.D.
Laboratory for Molecular Pharmacology
University College London