CD-ROM for 701 (was: Re: Upgrading a IBM 301C)

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:30:04 EST, James E. Ackermann wrote:

>relative updating a 701 C.  I am adding a cd rom drive and need input as
>to whether to purchase a drive with a pc card interface or a parallel
>interface.  In addition any information on specific drives would be
>appreciated.

Have a look at http://www.maxcom.nl/cardport/cardportcd-e.html
This device is sort of expensive (I think US$ 300-400) but very cool. You can
plug it in and out at any time - no need for reboot. Works great with OS/2 if you
care.
Also works as a Diskman.

I have heard that Sony sells a "CD-ROM Discman" with scsi interface for US$
150,-

Parallel devices are slow and the inefficient LPT port needs very much CPU time.

Be careful with "8-Speed" portable CD-ROM drives. They need too much power.
2x spin is perfectly OK for notebooks...

Have fun

joerg klemenz
(joergk@ipf.de)