Re: Introduction/IBM/NT4.0

On Oct 14,  4:21pm, Guy W. Farrell wrote:
> Subject: Re: Introduction/IBM/NT4.0
> > I would have to disagree with you regarding IBM's products quality
and
> > support based on my personal experiences with them during the last
few
> > months. I've gotten much better support and quality products from
NEC
> > for their high end Versa lines. When I or my company paid $5 - $6K
for a
> > machine, I expected it to be more reliable than what I've seen.
>
> I've found no better support than IBM, although I have an IBM
> certified rep on campus and have never dealt with NEC.  72hrs turn
> around with no questions asked is good in my book,  Yes I've had
> serious problems with ThinkPads, but breakages requiring repairs have
> been resolved painlessly.
>
> > I'm running NT/WS 4.0 on a 760ELD with only 16MB RAM (I'm not
planning
> > to spend more money on this machine). It takes about a minute to
start
> > up to the login screen. I guess depends on how many protocols and
> > services that you included in the autostart that it will take more
or
> > less time to come up.
>
> Have you read the "NT on laptops" posts lately?  Everyone says that
> NT is a resouce hog.  Thats no surprise.  Carefull with your
> expectations of NT on a laptop.  I've seen it running happily (2 yrs
> ago) on a 486/DX2-66, but that machine had 512MB RAM and a 9GB
> Fast/Wide SCSI hard drive with 4MB RAM cache for the drive.  The
> drive through put and RAM really help.  Maybe that example is a bit
> over-the-top, but laptop drives are still piss slow and 16MB doesn't
> even allow Win95 to run smoothly.  Ziff tests also place most 133MHz
> laptops at ~P90 desktop performance.
>
> Guy W. Farrell
> Network Coordinator                (860)486-5000
> The UConn Foundation, Inc.         (800)269-9965
> U-Box 206
> Storrs, CT 06269-4190
>
> E-mail: gfarrell@oasis.vpia.uconn.edu
>
> Computer Support for Institutional Advancement
>-- End of excerpt from Guy W. Farrell

Well, I'm glad that you're getting good help from IBM. I, on the other
hand, have not received the same support that I should be getting.

I've posted a message on the comp.sys.laptops a few weeks ago regarding
the 760ELD and it was also posted here. So far, I have not received any
otherwise, they will not be in my high list of vendors. Is there anyone
from IBM subscribed to this mailing list?

As far as NT, I agreed that it's a resource hog and no one in a
production environment should be running it with less than 32MB of RAM
and a Pentium 120. In my case, it's more for testing purpose than real
life use since I use Win95 as my main production environment.

John Pham

--

	| John Pham                Phone: (800) 422-7044       |
	| Lantronix Systems Engr.         (714) 453-7107       |