Re: 750C altF3, F4 problems

> Has anyone had this problem, or any observations on it?
>
> When I put the 750C in the "sleep modes" Alt F3 or Alt F4, the screen
> blanks, hard drive shuts down ok.  Then, after some minutes, the HD spins
> up, shups down, spins up again, then shuts down for a while.  then the
> whole cycle repeats. (sorry I'm not more definitive about the "whiles",
> but I didn't make accurate time notes)
>
> I'm sure this is a lot of extra wear and tear on the HD

I have a 750Cs that does the same under Win95 when put in power-conservation
mode (Fn-F3).  The frequency of this behavior went down significantly when I
upgraded from 4MB to 12MB RAM, which lead me to the conclusion that Win95 was
doing some kind of swapping every few minutes.  The fact that this doesn't
happen under DOS supports this conclusion as well.  I read somewhere
that you can change the virtual memory settings under Win95 to something
user-defined (probably disable) to avoid swapping if you have 20MB or more
RAM, but this isn't "recommended."

Your hard drive shouldn't spin up at all when suspended (Fn-F4)...

Regards,
Dave.

--
Dave Ahn,  ahn@indigo2.rad.bgsm.edu     "When you were born you cried, and the
           ^^ PLEASE NOTE CHANGE ^^      world rejoiced.  Try to live your life