To keep the power on or not

Some people and I would even say that it is the majority of interested
parties advocate switching  the power on and off in desktops as
unfrequently as possible or not at all. Well, laptops are different, but
suppose that I did not care about the battery (which is really weak and I
need to power my TP from an AC outlet anyway). Would it make sense to
keep the power on for ever? I noticed that if I leave my TP 700 on for
several hours it really does not get that hot at all. Please let me know
what you would do. Is it advisable and advantageous to keep the power on
in a case like that?
TIA. Regards, Waldemar