PC Week article regarding 760

Below is the text of an article in this week's PCWeek On-line.  The
source is http://www.pcweek.com/news/0812/12ibm.html.

>     [PC Week Online]    August 12, 1996 10:00 AM ET
>                         IBM looking to solve
>                         ThinkPad 760 bug
>                         By Mark Moore
>
>    -------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>               IBM may have finally pinpointed a fix for a
>               problem that has been locking up IBM ThinkPad
>               760 notebooks when users try to type on
>               external keyboards.
>
>               Some users of the ThinkPad 760 notebooks, which
>               started shipping last October, have complained
>               of intermittent errors, lock-ups and
>               spontaneous reboots that occur when they type
>               on keyboards connected to the notebook's
>               external keyboard slot.
>
>               IBM officials initially attributed the problem
>               to the ThinkPad 760's optional docking station.
>               As a result, IBM several weeks ago had
>               distributed via the World Wide Web a temporary
>               patch that disabled the internal TrackPoint
>               when the system was docked.
>
>               But officials now say the problem is related to
>               communications between the 760's TrackPoint
>               system and external keyboards. Although
>               officials could not provide a timetable for
>               when a permanent fix would be available,
>               sources close to the Armonk, N.Y., company said
>               a solution could be available by the middle of
>               next month.
>
>               IBM is working on a temporary fix that would
>               require users to attach a short patch cable to
>               the external keyboard and to the TrackPoint
>               slot on the side of the ThinkPad 760, sources
>               said.
>
>               The company is also developing a permanent
>               solution in the form of updated BIOS software
>               that users could download from IBM's technical
>               support forums on the Internet and other online
>               services, sources said.
>
>               Despite these fixes in the works, some users
>               criticized IBM for its slow response in
>               addressing the ThinkPad 760 glitches.
>
>               "When I first contacted IBM, it was the end of
>               May or early June; now here it is in
>               mid-August, and I have people all over the
>               organization asking, 'Where's my laptop?'" said
>               Glenn Morley, senior systems engineer at DPIC
>               Co., in Monterey, Calif.

Copyright (c) 1996 Ziff-Davis Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express
written permission of Ziff-Davis Publishing Company is prohibited. PC
Week and the PC Week logo are trademarks of Ziff-Davis Publishing
Company. PC Week Online and the PC Week Online logo are trademarks of
Ziff-Davis Publishing Company.

Tom Kustner                   Emjay Corporation
System/LAN Administrator      725 W. Glendale Ave.
Email: kustner@emjay.com      Glendale, WI  53209-6509  USA
Any opinions are mine and not necessarily those of Emjay's.