Re: Users are not very mobile with IBM Mwave?

different countries have different telecom standards.  many are much tougher
than the U.S.  australia for example has a different set of specs than the
U.S.  some say its their monopoly (now duopoly) power to exact high payments
from companies to run their devices through the telecom testing process.

others say that some countries value their telephone linesmen (and women) more
highly than is the case in the U.S. ... that here it is a matter of not wanting
modems in the country that are capable of sending 240 volts up the telephone
line at the technician working on the pole, if they don't have the appropriate
cutouts.  or, they don't want added line interference.

i am sure someone can explain the techology better.  personally i would think
if you have a daa approved for australia or germany you'd be safe most anywhere.

but i am not an electrical engineer, so i am not sure how valid that statement
is.

regards, al

 Alden S Klovdahl /   alden.klovdahl@anu.edu.au    / fax: +61 62 49 05 25
 Sociology Arts  / Australian National University / Canberra ACT Australia 0200