Re: Tin SIMMs in Gold sockets?

> Anyone here put tin plated SIMMs into their gold Thinkpad TAM sockets? Are
> those stories of corrosion true? Or, does corrosion only takeplace after 7
> or eight years?

Gold can't corrode - that's one reason it's worth so much.
The tin you see is actually solder (tin+lead) which can, or
oxidize.  The connections can also get dirty over time, even
when both sides are gold flashed (a way to make the coating
thinner than plating).  I'd say gold on one side is better
than no gold at all.  I wouldn't worry about the dis-similar
metals - I've been plugging tinned chip leads into gold
sockets for many many years with no problems...

Billy Y..