Re: Re[2]: help-HD swap

On Sat, 20 Jul 1996 keith_mishkind@colpal.com wrote:

>      Hey,  I'll check the site to verify what you are saying but it defies
>      my current reality.  EIDE is a different standard with different pin
>      outs.  I have freely been swapping hard drives between laptops for
>      Years and IDE drives have been easily swapable.  The 540 and 810
>      drives from IBM are IDE not EIDE.  It is conceivable that a BIOS
>      upgrade was needed to upgrade but this does not make IDE into EIDE.

I think they put out a new standard when I wasn't looking.

What I meant by EIDE was the hard drive hid the physical layout so
you could have >1024 cylinders.  Both the 540 and 810 MB drives have
> 1024 cylinders.  For them to work in the 750 series, you need
an updated (Thinkpad) BIOS.  The term for this was originally EIDE
since it extended the number of cylinders you could have in an IDE
drive.  I had no idea things had developed to the point of being
physically different from IDE drives.
--
John H. Kim       "I stop for red traffic lights" -- bumper sticker
jokim@mit.edu     commissioned by the City of Boston as part of a