Modem on 701

I am new to this mailing list, and this subject may have been covered
before.

I have a 701cs, with the internal modem.  Whenever I connect to my ISP
or a BBS, my connection only lasts for about 5 minutes, and then
disconnects.  I have seen the same symptoms using a winsock, or even
just windows terminal.  I sent my 701 back to IBM, and they replaced the
modem, but I have the same problem.  I am using Windows 3.11, Windows
terminal program, and Microsoft Explorer's winsock program.  When I use
a MegaHertz PCMCIA 14.4k, I do not have this problem.  Any ideas?

  -- J. Scott Dickson