Re: HD Password.

The only way to make an unusable drive usable is to take apart the drive and
replace the drive's interface and controller (on the drive) with a new one.
So, basically, you're switching the platters w/ another drive.

-- Derek

>Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 19:31:11 EDT
>From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
>To: ndanger@rahul.net, tp750@cs.utk.edu
>Subject: Re: HD Password.
>
>"I'd rather not turn this into a flame-war.  I simply asked a question.
>This is not a stolen or illegitimately acquired machine.  It's a
>machine that has been transferred between departments in a large
>company.  If you've ever worked in such an environment, you know that
>when machines move, they frequently move without their original manuals.
>In as much as the Internet is a dynamic medium populated by knowledgable
>people, it might be much faster to ask a question here then to wait
>days or weeks for IBM to ship a replacement manual.  How can you assume
>a machine is stolen simply because the manuals are missing?  They could
>be missing for any number of reasons."
>
>But it is not the manuals you need, it is the memory of the guy who
>set the password. I trust he did *not* write it down anywhere. Whgat
>you need to do is to try to find out who set the password and
>ask him what it was. There is no other solution, otherwise you have
>to go buy a new disk.

DISCLAIMER: The above information is provided for your convenience. No
            assumptions regarding the reliability or accuracy of the above
            statement(s) or data should be made.
__
Derek V. Chan         		    | PGP Fingerprint:  CB C4 65 BA 04 04 9C 9A
chan4@fas.harvard.edu 		    | 			FF DE 71 81 83 21 45 6B
dchan@cybercom.net)   		    | Finger either address for PGP public key.