using tp750cd with DeLorme GPS Link II

I am new to this list, so please be gentle ;^>

I have a TP750CD and have purchased DeLorme's GPS Link II software to
couple the TP to an Eagle Accunav Sport GPS receiver.  By coupling the
two, I will be able to use the MapExpert CD ROM in a real time mode,
where the GPS receiver updates the map's location continually.

The two link via a cable connecting the NMEA output of the Accunav Sport
to the serial port of the TP750CD.

Unfortunately, I get the message "Serial Port Not Responding" when
running the GPS Link II software.  I have called the IBM support line
often enough that I feel I know the good folks on their end of the line.
Likewise, DeLorme offers no consolation.  I have been carful to follow
all suggested steps to turn the port on.

I cobbled together a loopback DB9 connector and used CheckIt to test the
serial port.  It passed all tests but the "modem" test- whatever that
is.

Is there anyone out there who can suggest where to turn or what to do to
make the serial port function?

Tom

Thomas A. Gauldin       Here's to the land of the longleaf pine,
Raleigh, NC             The summerland where the sun doth shine,
BSRB45A on Prodigy      Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great,
FAX (919) 676-1404      Here's to Downhome, the Old North State.