Re: 760cd impressions

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Michael MacDonald wrote:

> I'm most stunned by the MPEG capability. IBM includes a demo disk with
> the 760cd that has a 60-second trailer from the movie "True Lies". The
                       ^^^^^^^^^
> MPEG-2, 4 MB/S version is spectacular. It's almost as good as watching a
          ^^^^^^
> VHS copy of True Lies on the Thinkpad. Too bad it's only a minute long.
> That single clip gobbles up 40 MB of CD-ROM space. There are two other
                              ^^^^^
Is this 4Mbit/sec, or 4Mbyte/sec?

Ethernet is 10 Mbit/sec theoretical max.  It's successor is supposed to
be 100 Mbit/sec.  Something tells me that "virtual" video rentals are not
far away...
John H. Kim         The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one
jokim@mit.edu       that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I have
jokim@tuna.mit.edu  found it!) but "That's funny ..." -- Isaac Asimov