Re: TP 701 & LINUX

At 4:24 PM 11/30/95, <kevan.riley@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
>which brings me to my next point.  Where are the TP 701
>people.  Did they leave the group is there another group
>forming/that formed for 701 users?
>
>Kevan P. Riley

        There are some of us here--most of which are either current or
former users of 75X machines too.

        But face it--the list is clearly very 75X (and perhaps soon to be
760) -centric in nature.

        Nevertheless, us 701 oddballs (and some 35X & 36X series owners)
are usually considered quite welcome.  It's just a little tougher to touch
base since we're the minority and there aren't as many on the list that are
"experts" with our machines as there are with the 75X's.

        The one you want to talk to though, regarding 701's and Linux, is
likely John Kim, a former/current 750 owner.  He's a Linux guy.  However,
he just received his 701 today and he's not likely to be in any position to
give advice for some time to come.  Give him a while to settle in with his
new toy.  ;-)

        He should be reading the list here, but if not, you can reach him
at jokim@tuna.mit.edu.  However, as I said, give him a couple weeks of
breathing time--it'll take him that long to figure out his 701.

        Good luck and welcome to the fold of 701 owners!  I feel quite
comfortable with my decision to switch over to the 701C from the 750C.  I
would have gotten a subnotebook long ago if not for the dinky keyboards and
micro-mini screens.  The 701 did away with those very valid concerns and
gave me a reason to get one anyway.  But until it came along, the 750C was
wonderful--too bad it weighed as much as it did (I can only *imagine* what
760 owners are doing--over 7 pounds?!  At what weight does your arm fall
off?  Seems we're kinda moving in the wrong direction--we did away with the
25-lb suitcase machines long ago and embraced notebook machines for a good
*reason*!)

Randy Whittle    whittle@usc.edu               |       WWW Home Page:     |
USC Graduate School of Business (Fight on 'SC!)|          http://         |
 "Did you really think you could call up the   | www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle/|
     Devil and ask him to behave?"             ----------------------------
       -Fox Mulder on T.V.'s "X-Files" speaking to an occult practitioner