Re: "BlackMatrix" Screens outdoors

> > super outdoors, the so-called "BlackMatrix" screens are an *immense*
> > improvement over the screen in my 750C, as far as outdoor viewing goes.
> >
> > 	In a direct comparison, both in direct sunlight and shaded outdoor
> > light, the 750C was impossible to even *see* while the 701C was surprising
> > readable.  I'm quite satisfied.  Now maybe I can actually go outside once
>
> All the more surprising since as far as I know, the 701C *doesn't* use
> a black matrix screen.  The 701 specs on IBM's web site don't mention
> the word, although it's prominently included in the specs of all the
> 75x models which use it.

	Actually, I verified that it did before I bought it.  I can't
remember the name, but you or someone else pointed me to an IBM'er that
knew about these things/was involved in their creation or manufacture.

	Anyway, he said that since a particular date (sometime last
summer) all 701C screens were made by a particular mfgr. (whose name
escapes me--I think it was DTI or something).  This same mfgr. is who
makes the blackmatrix screens that go into some of the 755 models and
it is/was the identical screen going into the 701C.

	Funny thing is, the 701 apparently can do better color depth
because of a different video chipset used in it.

Randy Whittle    whittle@usc.edu               |       WWW Hope Page:     |
USC Graduate School of Business (Fight on 'SC!)|          http://         |
 "Did you really think you could call up the   | www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle/|
     Devil and ask him to behave?"             ----------------------------
       -Fox Mulder on T.V.'s "X-Files" speaking to an occult practitioner