OS/2, PCMCIA and Hibernation

In my last message, where I thanked Bob Cowles for cluing me in to the commands which allow one to switch between Lan-based and PPP-based connection without rebooting, I mentioned that my only remaining annoyance is that the PCMCIA cards had to be hot plugged to reset them after hibernation.  Bob Cowles wrote back to me indicating that I shouldn't have this problem and suggesting some things to try.  As it turns out, my problem is that I was still using Thinkpad Utilities Disk version 1.31.  Since this time, IBM has split the PCMCIA section into a separate disk.  My problem was not mentioned in the documentation for the upgrade.  After confirming that I did not have one of the necessary files, Bob Cowles suggested that I download the upgrade (tppcm130.exe in the /mobiles directory at the ftp.pcco.ibm.com site).  I installed this upgrade according to instructions, and the PCMCIA cards now re-initialize automaticly after hibernation.

The lesson is that the IBM fix documentation is not necessarily complete.  Thanks again to Bob Cowles.
Victor Kress
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Road N.W.
Washington, DC 20015-1305