Re: BlackMatrix TFT Displays--Can you See them Outside or not?

> 	Nevertheless, why not a secondary backlight?  Could be turned on
> in bright conditions for maximum readibility in sunlight, off for max
> battery life (or just a brighter main backlight for everything--turn it up
> in the sun, down indoors).  ThinkPads are generally considered to have
> screens that are not as bright as their competition's.

If IBM and product reviewers don't know enough to turn their screens to
maximum brightness under battery power, then that's their problem.  As
a graphics person who turns out the lights in his office to get better
preceived dynamic range from top-of-the-line monitors, it's hard for me
to believe that someone would by persuaded by commercials of real pertty
people at the top of bright mountains that they can use their machines
up there.  I've tried to use various machines outside, but after running
through hoops trying to make their screens visible, I decided there are
better things to do in the sunshine.

A while back someone mentioned that in a darkened room or on an darkened
airplane, the screen can actually be to *bright*.  I agree.

Regards,
Eugene Fiume.