From: Petran Schmidt <schmidt@cranium>
Subject: linux APM
To: klm@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 11:30:23 -0500 (EST)

I had a similar problem, and wrote Stephen Rothwell (the original APM
author).  Here's my message to him and his response (edited).

> The code gave me a linker error for symbol "_apm_bios_entry" not found.  I
> found the string on line 106 of apm_bios.c, and figured that possibly the
> first underscore was not necessary with my compiler and saw that the only
> thing that I could find that this could be referencing is the variable
> apm_bios_entry declared later in the same file:
>
> apm_bios.c:106:         "lcall %%cs:_apm_bios_entry\n\t" \
> apm_bios.c:189:}                                apm_bios_entry;
>
> after changing line 106 to:
> apm_bios.c:106:         "lcall %%cs:apm_bios_entry\n\t" \
>
> I compiled it and it compiled without errors.  I thought that I'd see if you
> had some insight into this before I load the kernel.  I've been scanning the
> newsgroups for a discussion of this, and haven't found any.  Am I the only
> person to experience this problem?  Am I missing a compiler flag?

This is caused because you are compiling the kernel in ELF which
does not use the leading underscore on external symbol names.
You have made the correct change, and it should work.

Others have experieneced this problem.