Re: Thinkpad 701c/cs DSP?

At 11:39 PM 11/2/95, John H. Kim wrote:

>>       Sounds like you know something about the 701's.  May I ask a
>> few questions?
>
>I think he's referring to Doug Haigh.  Doug works at IBM's U.S.
>Thinkpad development, first on the 350, then on the 701.  He posted
>the original announcement for the 701 on comp.sys.laptops.  I can
>mail you his email address.  I'm a little reluctant to send it to
>the entire mailing list.

        Please do send it to me if you will, John.

>>       The display--256 colors or 64,000?  (You wrote "256K" but I
>> think that might be a mistake--please clarify).
>
>The video on the 701 is capable of 24bit color.

        Hmph!  Well 24-bit would be 16.7 Million colors--but 256,000 would
still be very good if it can do that.  ;-)

        Do you know if the video is "true" acceleration, or just local bus
of some sort (or both)?

>  The video on the
>75x machines can only do 8-bit or 16-bit.  I'm not sure if the 256k
>(it is 256k, not 256) vs. 64k is a video thing or an active matrix
>thing.  Whichever it is, a 755 with the 701's screen could only show
>64k colors because of its video.  Anyone know about the 760?

        So you're say that the 701's video is better than the 755?  Does it
by chance do 800x600 like the newer 755's do also?

        And I don't suppose you know about the battery life issue, do you?

Randy Whittle    whittle@usc.edu               |       WWW Hope Page:     |
USC Graduate School of Business (Fight on 'SC!)|          http://         |
 "Did you really think you could call up the   | www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle/|
     Devil and ask him to behave?"             ----------------------------
       -Fox Mulder on T.V.'s "X-Files" speaking to an occult practitioner