Re: Thinkpad 701c/cs DSP?

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, Randy Whittle wrote:

>         Do you know if the [TP701] video is "true" acceleration, or
> just local bus of some sort (or both)?

It's the Chips and Technologies 65545 chipset.  Same as in the
Toshiba 4900CT, Zeos Meridian 850, Dell LX4100D, Gateway Liberty,
and NEC Versa M and P75.  I think it's also in the Toshiba 610CT.
This chipset has a pretty bad rep among Linux users because (rumor)
the exact hardware implementation can be varied by the notebook
manufacturer, making it difficult to write drivers for.

>         So you're say that the 701's video is better than the 755?
> Does it by chance do 800x600 like the newer 755's do also?

Well, the 701 supports more colors.  I don't know if it's any faster.
I haven't seen any benchmarks comparing it and the WD90C24(A) in the
350/360/750/755.

>       And I don't suppose you know about the battery life issue, do you?

No.  I'm considering a 701 and the battery life is my chief concern.
I've heard 1h45m on comp.sys.laptops.  That's a pretty big drop from
the 3.5-5 hours I get on my 750 mono.
John H. Kim        "A common mistake that people make when trying to design
jokim@mit.edu       something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
jokim@tuna.mit.edu  ingenuity of complete fools." -- Douglas Adams