701 Internal Modem - International Use - SUMMARY

Thank you to everyone who responded! This list is great. :)

My original question(s):
> Anyways, the manual for the 701 modem says "this can only be used in the
> US and Canada" - it's a standard RJ11 jack.  This sent a shiver through me -
> after all, one of the selling points of the machine (for me) was the modem.
>
> So,
>       (a) does anyone know why the manual says this? Is it just to CYA?
>       (b) has anyone used one of these modems abroad? Or can give a
>       justifiable reason why I should plug into the overseas network without
>       such experience?
>       (c) If directly plugging into the phone line isn't a good idea, can
>       I buy any adapters (other than a new modem :)?

The general consensus is that using the modem outside the US and Canada
is *not* a problem, except for getting a converter between the RJ11 and
the local telephone connector (or use an acoustic coupler, I suppose).

Also, to use the modem, you may need to change the initialization and/or
dial string (to use pulse instead of tone) to make it work.

There are definite success reports from South Africa, England, and Israel.
One person reported limited success in Singapore (it did not recognize the
"engage" tone - I am guessing that this means the dialtone??)

In general, it appears that technical difficulties are not the problem -
legal ones are. The internal modem is not approved for overseas telcos,
which could potentially lead to my being assessed large fines. I'm thinking
maybe I should dial in from pay phones. :)

Anyways, we'll see how brave I am.

Thanks to Zvi Meir Kedem, Martin Jung, Alden Klovdahl, Wilson Yip, Krupnik
Kenny, John Purnell, Lawrence Chiu, and Timothy Sipples for this information.

--
Steve Rodrigues            | Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and
Expatriate Texan           | sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty