Re: Dock 2 description ?

> Amazing, innit? I keep my original 10M 100ms Winchester as a doorstop for
> fun. I don't want to think what we paid for that 10 years ago....

	I try to keep things in perspective.  I remember that 10 MB drive
being simply *huge*--the entire operating system took up 1 MB and both
Lotus 1-2-3 and WordStar were small enough to be run off of *floppies*--
one or two 360K floppies, no less!  You could have these two major programs
on your hard drive, a mess of character-based games & a few other various
applications, yet still have upwards of 5 MB or 50% of your hard drive
empty.  Hardly anyone ever filled it (that is, until 20 MB drives started
to become the new standard and the software publishers caught on & bloated
up the software!  ;-)

	Comparison:  Today a drive of 400 to 500 MB is fairly standard
equipment (though you power-users are getting new drives in excess of
1 GB) while the operating system is anywhere between 20 and 35 MB and
major software packages are upwards of 20 to 40 MB in size.  The size of
the hard drive has increased about 50 times while the software size has
increased 30 to 40 times.  Gee--maybe we haven't come as far as we thought
we had!  :)  Well, at least that 500 MB drive can be had for $200--that
10 MB one was a $1,000 option, wasn't it?

Randy Whittle    whittle@usc.edu               |       WWW Hope Page:     |
USC Graduate School of Business (Fight on 'SC!)|          http://         |
 "Did you really think you could call up the   | www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle/|
     Devil and ask him to behave?"             ----------------------------
       -Fox Mulder on T.V.'s "X-Files" speaking to an occult practitioner