Re: Dock 2 description ?

On Sun, 22 Oct 1995, Chris Hanson wrote:

>    I think that there is also an IDE controller in it so you can
>    install IDE drives or even a TP drive ("To attach ThinkPad hard
>    disk drive, do the following ...").  I have NOT done anything with
>    the IDE stuff.
>
> I suspect that there's no separate controller in the dock, but rather
> that the TP internal controller bus is ported to the dock.

I originally thought so too, but my 750 tech reference lists the pins on
the connector (but not the AMP part number of the connector, dammit!) and
the HD lines are _not_ on there. The only lines labeled as HD signals are
-PDIAG, -HDCS1 and HD7. (Passed Diagnostics, Chip Select 1 and
[strangely] data line 7.) There's a HDCS0 signal there too, which is
(mistakenly, I think) labeled as video-related.

> I use an IDE hard disk in the dock and it works fine.  These disks are
> so cheap right now that it's a great way to get lots of storage.

Amazing, innit? I keep my original 10M 100ms Winchester as a doorstop for
fun. I don't want to think what we paid for that 10 years ago....

> Additionally, I've used the TP disk adapter (an add-on option) to

What does it do, convert the D connector to a standard 40 pin cable and a
power socket?