Re: Seeking details on the IBM SCSI-2 PCMCIA card: linux compatability

Regarding my question, i have a definitive answer on the identity of the
IBM CreditCard SCSI-2 adaptor card - stuart biggar was correct, it's a
Future Domain 16-700.  (This may be unfortunate, since that card is not on
the list of supported cards, and david hinds - who produced the linux
PCMCIA package - says the FD1680 is not currently supported...)

I'm very pleased, nonetheless, to get an unequivocal answer from ibm on
the identity of the card.  I contacted askibm@info.ibm.com, and was
referred to their "Info Support" center (1-800-772-2227).  A responsive
person there sent me to an Options support person.  The options person dug
up the OEM info (and happens to run linux on his home machine, so he
definitely knew what i was talking about), and was quite helpful and
informed.

Now i have to determine whether it's likely that a driver for the FD16-700
will be produced any time soon, or to send back the IBM card and get one
of the supported ones.  However, i'm in a much better position to decide!

(My apologies to the people on the list with little or no interest in the
trials and tribulations of linux on the thinkpads - the identity of the
card's OEM probably won't be of much use to you, since you could just use
the standard drivers that come with the card.  Still, i figure this info
will be helpful to more than just the linux minority...)

ken manheimer		klm@cnri.reston.va.us		  (703) 620-8990 x259
		1895 Preston White Drive, Suite 100
			Reston, VA 22091