Video Drivers

I had a recent unfortunate encounter with a virus,
and while I had backed up all my data a mere hours
before, I've had to reinstall windows on my 755Cs.

I carefully followed the instructions in the users
guide for installing dos and windows and all the
appropriate drivers, but I had trouble installing
the video driver.  (I have two video driver discs
by my machine, the one that shipped with my machine,
labelled v1.30, and the one I downloaded off the
ftp server - FTP.PCCO.IBM.COM)  According to the
instructions, I was to run VINSTALL and select the
option "IBM 8511, 8512, 8513, 8517, OR 8518" since
I do not have an external display.

Then, when running windows, I was to tell it to
configure the display to "OTHER" and input the
Video Features Diskette (dir a:\win31) when asked.

So far so good.

When it asked for the video drivers disk, I inserted
the Video Features Diskette and was presented with
a series of SVGA (WD90C24) options.  (I presume the
WD90C24 stands for the Western Digital Controller.)

I chose the 640x480x256 option - a resolution that
the 755Cs should be able to handle....

Unfortunately, Windows informed me that the driver
was not compatible with my display and exited from
setup abruptly.

After trying a couple of different options using both
diskettes (1.30 and 1.33) I ended up calling the help
line.  There I was told (a little brusquely) that I was
just to use the VGA.  I did as I was told, but the
resolution was obviously wrong.  (I wasn't getting
256 colors.)  So, I ran setup from within Windows and
changed to the SVGA (WD90C24) 640x480x256 option that
it listed.  That gave me the resolution that I remembered -
and brings me to my question.

What driver is this, is it the same as the driver on the
video features disk, and what is the difference between
1.30 and 1.33?

(In a related question - updating the ThinkPad Utilities
to the current version added a bunch of features.  But
I was unable to get the updated Audio Features file from
the FTP site to uncompress.  Has anyone else had this
problem?  I mentioned it to the support folks on the
help line and they assured me that I was mistaken, it
actually does uncompress itself just fine.  I didn't
argue with them.)

                            -Tim