have been easier if I'd known about this glitch up front...

Mike Anderson, ThinkPad Forum Sysop
IBM PC Co Mobile Products Tech Support
7:37 PM, Wednesday, September 27, 1995

What he means by "the same X3" is that if you put "X3" into your dialing
string, then the modem does not wait for dial tone before starting to dial
the number. Apparently this is the main problem with using US versions of
the modem in other countries -- the modem never detects dial tone, so it
never dials the number.  I had the problem the first time I tried to use my
mwave 1.10 modem in Brussels, and X3 fixed it for me.