Re: Display on CD, CE, CX

On Aug 30,  1:34pm, John H. Kim wrote:
> Subject: Re: Display on CD, CE, CX
> On Wed, 30 Aug 1995, Robert George wrote:
> > On Aug 29,  8:17pm, <sandy@sandy.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure where the 755's and 360's are from.

I've met some of the guys at Austin from the Thinkpad design group.  We
discussed some of the design issues related to the 755's, so I assumed at the
time that they were responsible for the design.  I'm sure there is an extensive
design cycle, though, where the EE's design the laptop, the manufacturing
engineers say it can't be done that way, and so on.

> Most of the TFT LCD's are from a joint IBM-Toshiba plant in Japan.

The joint IBM/Toshi plant is in upstate New York.  It was built there to avoid
the tariffs the US placed on the Japanese for dumping.

The rumor is that the same plant will be used to jointly manufacture 64Mbit
DRAMS.

Robert